One and half blocks southwest of the White House stands the Octagon designed by Thornton and completed in 1800, for John Tayloe, whom President Washington talked into building an estate in Washington,DC, no doubt to encourage the city’s growth. The American Institute of Architects moved in about 100 years later. And about sixty years later it demolished the Octagon’s stable behind the house and built a new headquarters designed by Walter Gropius’s firm The Architects Collaborative. TAC took over the project when the original architect walked away from the project after suffering artistic disagreements with the reviewing agencies.
(C) Bill Lebovich,all rights reserved,2014